At Thresher Shark Divers we always strive to be the best in everything we do and so we were over the moon to be recognized again in the PADI Annual Awards.
This year we were awarded finalist in two out of the five categories: the Project AWARE Conservation Award and the Outstanding Dive Center Business Award.
The Project AWARE award is one that we actually won last year, and we are very happy to have continued recognition of our conservation efforts. Currently we are focusing on adding to our artificial reef mostly thanks to Matt and Emma’s hard work over the last month. More on that story coming soon!
We are especially pleased and proud to receive the Outstanding Dive Center Finalist award for the second year in a row. The award recognizes outstanding achievements across all areas of our operation. TSD always tries to maintain the high standards we have not let slip since opening, but we also continue to expand into new areas. In the last year alone we have…
- Introduced PADI IDCs and Instructor level courses to Malapascua
- Expanded our diving internship program to become one of the most successful in the Philippines
- Introduced the new PADI Tec Rec courses – another first for Malaspacua
- Continued to offer other diving destinations within the Philippines such as Donsol for whale shark watching and Tubbataha liveaboards, and also expanded our dive travel to include liveaboards in Thailand and Indonesia and the fabulous new M/Y Philippine Siren.
- Continued to provide top quality service in terms of PADI Dive Courses and the amazing local fun diving in Malapascua.
- Expanded our lines of dive equipment for sale, including becoming official Suunto dealers.
It is the most prestigious award granted by PADI and we were up against some very tough competition. As a relatively new business compared to most of our competitors, it means an awful lot to us.
PADI regional manager, Jimmy Christrup visited Malapascua recently to formally present us with our awards.
Also this year we have been awarded the following:
Project Aware 2009 International Environmental Achievement Award
The International Environmental Achievement Award honors dive operators around the world who display commitment and excellence in their efforts to protect underwater environments within business operations and their community.
“The Environment Achievement Award is about rewarding vision, excellence and pursuit of conservation. More importantly, this award ensures the enjoyment of underwater environments for future generations.”
Go Eco Status
The main objective of Project AWARE’s Go ECO is for dive centres to minimize their impact on the aquatic ecosystem whilst contributing to environmental, economic and cultural conservation. Dive centres are required to meet best practice environmental guidelines and commit to the Project AWARE Go ECO philosophy.
Joanne Marston, Manager, of Project AWARE Asia Pacific added, “We are pleased to recognize Thresher Shark Divers as a Go ECO Operator. We look forward to working with them to implement environmental best practices and educate tourists about how they can travel responsibly.”